John Akanbi is a garment-makers, He studied Electrical and Electronics Engineering but is passionate about making people look good through fashion. John enjoys sewing and is passionate about preparing people for a career in fashion. He is the founder of Akanbi Clothings Fashion School, a leading fashion school in Abuja.
According to John, Akanbi Clothings Fashion School (ACFS) has trained and graduated over 100 students through its three courses which are Basic, Professional, and Advanced courses having a duration of 3 months, 6 months, and 4 months respectively.
Akanbi Clothings Fashion School (ACFS) is a skill acquisition training school for garment-makers and people who are passionate about becoming self-employed fashion designers.
Below is an exclusive interview conducted with him via the Rindx Business Interview platform:
- Question: What inspired you to get into this line of business?
John: My passion for looking good and teaching gave me the drive to choose this business. If I don’t impact someone in a day, I will feel empty and unhappy. But each time I produce an outfit and teach a student, I feel fulfilled. Sewing is my life.
- Question: How long have you been in this business?
John: I have been in this sewing business for over 13 years. Even as an Electrical and Electronics Engineering student, I was known in my school to be a fashion enthusiast and garment maker in school. But I officially lunched out on the 19th of September 2013.
- Question: How do you deal with difficult times in this business?
I keep focusing on where am going. I know where am heading, so whatever am going through can’t stop me. That is my mindset. Every business has challenges but they are temporary.
I entered Cres Plaza with Just a Measuring tape, Scissors, and Business Card. My Sewing Machine was an old machine and shame won’t let me bring it to the shop. But today, Akanbi Clothings is a different thing.
- Question: How do you market your business, and which tactics have been most successful?
John: I market my business by making compelling garments, doing it neatly, good, and doing it with all of me.
My major focus is making sure I meet deadlines and more customers are referred to me by my clients and students.
I have also gotten a lot of customers after they saw my own clothes and asked me who made them for me. You may not understand until you visit Akanbi Clothings Fashion School.
Satisfied customers and my products are what brings the customers and students.
I have a huge photo gallery of past work and I share pictures of my business on social media and we have a website.
- Question: How do you generate new ideas?
John: I get new ideas by studying and getting feedback from my students and clients.
- Question: What has been your most satisfying moment in business?
John: My most satisfying moments are the moments when I see male and female students who knew nothing about fashion putting on garments that they made themselves within three weeks of learning.
You need to see how happy I am when in just six months, I see most of my students even better than me in their gifted areas.
- Question: What piece of advice would you give to fresh graduates or other people who want to become entrepreneurs?
John: Look inward! Every person is born an entrepreneur. Just look inward for that thing that you love doing. Most times there are things that irritate you that you wish to correct.
Please start from there, I differentiate myself from others by meeting deadlines, People think Tailors must disappoint and I hate that a lot, so I decided I must be that Tailor that will not disappoint and I believe that has helped my business.
- Question: How can people get in touch with you?
John: We are located at FF 16 and 21 Crest Plaza, 1st Avenue, Beside Fidelity Bank Gwarinpa, Abuja.
Rindx Business Icon Interview is a section of Rindx.com that recognizes, honours and inspires both emerging or established local entrepreneurs who have shown outstanding performance as business owners in their respective fields.
Find Out More About RBI Interview
- BUSINESS2021.03.03LEADING FASHION SCHOOL IN ABUJA STARTED WITH JUST MEASURING TAPE, SCISSORS & BUSINESS CARD
- BUSINESS2021.03.03Catering Is Not My Work, It’s My Passion – Ololade
- BUSINESS2021.02.08Hannah: SKIN CHALLENGES INSPIRED ME TO BECOME A SKINCARE FORMULATOR & ENTREPRENEUR
- BUSINESS2020.12.14OLADAPO: EVERY BUSINESS TAKES THE SHAPE OF THE OWNER’S MIND