Google Sites is a web service provided by Google. The Google Site service allows users to create multiple web pages and share them over the Internet.
The main highlighted features and functions of Google sites are customizable domain name mapping and multi-level permissions, and accessibility.
For better management, it now offers a wide range of extensions for several gadgets, XML modules, and HTML blocks.
In a free Google account, Google Sites offer 100 MB of free storage space, which can be increased to 10 GB of storage for Google Apps users.
Google sites simplify the creation of websites, and everything is stored securely for site owners.
You can make your site public or private and control access to it. However, Google Sites is somewhat not the best platform to create a fully functional website.
As a result, you may want to explore alternative Google sites.
THE BEST ALTERNATIVES TO GOOGLE SITES
Choosing one of the best Google site alternatives has more to do with matching your specific website requirements to each alternative’s features.
We will make it easier for you in this post.
We will highlight the features of various alternatives that are most important when creating websites:
- WordPress.com and WordPress.org
People are often confused about the differences between WordPress.org and WordPress.com. WordPress.org is a free, open-source web publishing software project that any individual or company does not own.
WordPress.com It is a hosted blogging service operated by Automattic.
Both WordPress.com and WordPress.org offers great platform for building professional websites.
For the purpose of highlighting the features of both WordPress.com and WordPress, we have separated them in (A) and (B) below.
WordPress.com allows you to create any website without knowing how to code. This is a fully hosted solution that provides everything from a domain name to maintenance and security. All you have to do is register an account to start creating your website.
There is also a free plan that allows you to use the WordPress.com subdomain – for example, CustomSiteName.wordpress.com.
See why WordPress.com is a good alternative to Google sites:
- Even with the free version, WordPress.com offers thousands of professionally designed templates and themes to choose from.
- WordPress.com is suitable for all types of websites, including e-commerce.
- You will find useful tools for marketing and monetization, such as subscriptions and payments plugins.
- Higher WordPress plans give you full control over the WordPress CMS
- You can install your own WordPress themes and plugins on the paid plans.
The second option is where you need to find hosting and install WordPress. Then you can configure it into any website that you want it to be.
While this may seem daunting to a beginner, hosts like Namesilo make it an easy thing to do. With a free domain name, an automatic WordPress installation, and an intuitive interface, you will have a ready-made website in a few minutes, which is why we consider this path to be one of the best alternatives to Google sites.
See why WordPress.org is a good alternative to Google sites:
- With a hosting service like Namesilo, creating your WordPress site is almost as easy as using Google sites.
- WordPress is a powerful open-source CMS with intuitive website creation and endless customization options. The WYSIWYG editor gives you full control over the creation and design of pages.
- WordPress has an initial learning curve but ultimately offers more freedom, if you don’t want to learn how to build your own website, a web design agency or a freelancer who build websites can help you out.
- You can use WordPress to create any website, from a blog to a business website, an e-commerce store, a catalog, and much more.
- You can expand your WordPress site using thousands of free themes and plugins.
Wix (Wix.com) is a flexible hosted website builder that you can use to create a basic business website, an e-commerce store, and much more. Wix allows you to create amazing websites without any code.
Although you can create a very simple free website using Wix, you need to upgrade to a paid plan to start receiving payments. Moreover, with the free plan, you can’t have your own domain or change templates.
The cheapest plan you’ll want to consider for a serious website is the combined plan, which starts at $ 8.50 per month. However, most companies will prefer an Unlimited plan that starts at $ 12.50 per month.
See why Wix.com is an excellent alternative to Google sites:
- You can create your website using drag and drop and a visual editor- no code is required on Wix.
- Wix offers more than 500 web design templates covering any type of website. You will have access to an extensive collection of icons, images, clips, and free applications. Wix’s artificial design intelligence helps you create personalized websites.
- You don’t need to worry about any maintenance or security of the website.
- If you want to sell products, you can have a simple shopping cart, smooth ordering, and end-to-end execution.
Weebly is a hosted platform. It offers a website builder and many professionally designed templates. It is a little more focused on e-commerce than some of the other alternatives to Google sites on this list, which is worth considering.
You can create a website for free using Weebly with CustomSiteName.weebly.com subdomain and weak branding. You will also get 500 MB of memory and forms for capturing leads.
In addition, you will need to pay for more features. Plans start at just $ 5 per month to connect a custom domain name, but most people will want to take advantage of the $ 12 per month Pro plan to get access to more features and remove Weebly ads.
See why Weebly is a good alternative to Google sites:
- Weebly offers a free website builder, e-commerce tools, and powerful mobile applications for creating functional stores. And you can manage your Weebly stores from anywhere.
- Store plans include a shopping cart and accepting payments through Square and other third-party payment vendors
- E-commerce features include inventory management, automatic tax calculator, built-in shipping labels, and shipping calculator.
- Weebly helps in marketing your website by optimizing it for search engines, sending pop-up and email notifications, and website performance statistics.
- With Weebly, you can also promote your product with coupon code and gift cards
Promoting your offerings with coupon codes online can boost your sales. Weebly allows you to configure the system to apply the discount when customers enter a valid coupon code during checkout.
If you want to create high-quality websites with awesome templates, you need to check out Squarespace. This is a popular content management system (CMS) with a powerful website builder.
The Squarespace free plan offers a free builder to start with. Paid plans start at $ 12 and go up to $ 40. The rates are indicated for the month, and the invoice is issued annually.
See why Squarespace is a good alternative to Google sites:
- It offers a variety of beautiful theme templates with great visual effects, all customizable. If you want, you can switch the templates later.
- Squarespace is responsible for all maintenance and security for you.
- You will be able to sell subscriptions, services, digital content, as well as in person. You can also manage your store using a convenient mobile application.
- It includes marketing tools to reach and expand your audience and takes care of SEO and email campaigns. It integrates with third-party tools and applications for marketing, delivery, finance, and much more.
- Squarespace displays social links, connects to social accounts, and automatically publishes messages on them. You can also import and download content from connected accounts.
Webflow is a comprehensive tool for creating websites that you can use without knowing a single line of code. It comes with hassle-free, fast, and reliable hosting.
You can start with Webflow for free and experiment with two projects. In addition, you will need to choose between site plans that start at $ 12 per month or account plans that start at $ 16 per month (paid annually).
See why Webflow is a good alternative to Google sites:
- Webflow has a CMS built into it with customizable databases. This means that you can add dynamic content and host online stores on Webflow.
- Webflow comes with over 100 responsive templates.
- Webflow has built-in SEO features.
- Using Webflow, you can easily create exciting animations and interactions.
- Since it runs on Amazon Web Services, your website will be on the Amazon’s hosting network.
- Your sites integrate with third-party marketing tools and require little maintenance.
Medium is a community-oriented platform that any visitor can access and read. It is also a platform for writers to express themselves on any issue. As a rule, you will find serious articles on niche topics on this platform.
In general, Medium is a good alternative if you want to create a blog to publish your content.
At the moment, everything is free on Medium for content creators. All you have to do is register, and you will be able to start publishing.
See why is Medium a good alternative to Google sites:
- For writers with a limited budget, Medium is a useful tool. This helps to place your content on a high-quality public platform for free
- With Medium, you can focus on writing and leave all technical issues on the hosting platform
- Medium has a broad reach and has about 120 million users
How To Choose the Best Google Site Alternatives
Choosing the best alternative to Google Sites depends on your needs and preferences. Assess the purpose of your website, considering whether it’s a personal blog, portfolio, business site, or online store.
Look for a user-friendly platform with customization options that align with your desired website appearance. Consider integration capabilities with third-party tools, ensuring compatibility with services like analytics, email marketing, or e-commerce. Evaluate the variety and responsiveness of templates, and check for features that support collaboration if you’re working with a team.
Determine your budget and scalability requirements, choosing a platform that fits your present needs and can grow with your website. Assess customer support, community resources, and the platform’s data security and privacy stance. Check website loading speed and consider platform-specific needs like e-commerce or blogging features.
Finally, read user reviews and seek recommendations to make an informed decision. As mentioned above, examples of Google Sites alternatives include Wix, Weebly, Squarespace, WordPress, and Webflow. It’s advisable to start with a free trial or plan to test the platform before committing.
The best alternative to Google sites for you depends on your specific needs and budget.
We did not compile the Google Sites Alternatives in this post to say Google sites is completely useless, but there are better platforms to build good websites and we have mention them in this post.
If you need to quickly and easily create a website for an event, a professional portfolio or another small project, Google site may be a good option. But if you are looking for something more, We would recommend WordPress.
WordPress is a great starting point if you’re looking for an affordable way to launch a custom and professional website.
You can use WordPress.com for maximum simplicity or self-hosting WordPress if you want a little more flexibility.
If you have any feedback or correction for mistakes, feel free to comment below.
Thank you for taking the time to read this Article.