Webp is an image format that uses both lossy and lossless compression methods. This method can be used for graphic images on the web, class transparent images, or s photographic photos. one of the main features of webp is that it supports the adjustment of the level of lossy compression, which gives the user more flexibility in the process of using it. webp can achieve 30% more compression than Jpeg without affecting the quality of the image.
Webp is smaller for the same image quality than png and jpg. Web pages will load faster with webp format images than with other jpg and png format images. The web pages load faster and provide a more efficient user experience. The smaller size means less space is taken up, reducing the burden on media storage, and we can better use the saved media storage space.
Preparing to Convert Images to WebP
- How to Convert Images to Webp Format
Before you start converting images to WebP, let’s think about how to convert images to webp format. The first thing we think of in relation to pictures is photo editing software, the almighty photoshop!
The second method is a converter that specializes in image formats. There are many image format converters, and we will take Anywebp as an example today because it is completely free.
- Choosing Images to Convert
After we have confirmed the tool to be used, we need to prepare the images to be converted later. You can convert images in Png, Jpeg, and gif formats to webp format according to your needs. You need to ensure that the browser you will be using for the webp format images supports webp format.
- Setting Conversion Parameters
WebP uses lossy and lossless compression methods, so we need to adjust the image quality and compression level whether we use image editing software or a webp image format converter. We need to be clear that the higher the compression level, the smaller the file size, and the lower the image quality will be. We need to make several attempts to find the balance between image quality and compression level to convert the image we need.
Converting Images to WebP: A Step-by-Step Guide
Photo Editing Software: Photoshop
Photoshop is a well-known image editor with a wide range of features and a full toolbar, and it can do most of your image editing needs and image format conversions. Let’s see how to use Photoshop to convert images to webp format.
- Step 1: Select “File” to open the image.
- Step 2: Click “File” and then”Save as”. In the pop-up window, select the last webp format.
- Step 3: Select the level of image quality you need.
Webp Image Converter: Anywebp
Anywebp is a convenient and free online webp format converter. You can convert webp to jpg, png, and icon. You can also convert images to webp format. It is designed with a batch conversion feature to convert many pictures with just one click, saving more time.
- Step 1: After entering the page, the box with the colored icon in the middle of the page is the operation area, you can upload files by clicking or dragging.
- Step 2: Click “Start” to start processing after successfully uploading the file.
- Step 3: After the image processing is finished, the status will show “Complete”, and the converted webp image will be downloaded automatically.
- Step 4: You can view them in the target folder directly.
Webpconverter for Windows and Mac
Anywebp is an online tool that relies on the web to load pages. If you use a webp converter a lot in your daily life and think it’s more convenient to use the software, you can download webpconverter from the navigation bar of anywebp to use it. Both windows and macOS systems are supported. Let’s see how to use it.
WebpConverter for Windows
- Step 1: Find “For Win/Mac” in the navigation bar and select the Windows version to download.
- Step 2: After the Windows version successfully downloads, open Webpconverter and select “Add images” to upload the image to be converted.
- Step 3: Before converting, you need to confirm the input format, select “JPG to Webp” to start the process, and click “Convert”.
- Step 4: You can view the converted images in the target folder.
WebpConverter for Mac
- Step 1: Click “Add File” to add the image to be converted to the operation area.
- Step 2: Confirm the output format in the lower left corner. Users can adjust the compression effect by sliding the slider left and right. Click “Convert” when finished.
- Step 3: View and save the image in the folder where you saved the result.
Optimizing WebP Images for Web Use
- Correct Approach
Different use cases require different levels of compression. Lossy compression for Webp is better for photos, and lossless compression is better for graphics and logos.
- Equilibrium Point
Both compression level and image quality are equally crucial for webp images. We have to try several times to find the balance between them and ensure that the compressed images’ quality and size meet our requirements.
- Compatibility with Browsers
Web format images are becoming increasingly popular, and more browsers support webp format images. However, not all browsers support it, so you need to ensure that most browsers used by your audience group support webp image format before using it.
- Enhance Speed
Optimizing the size and format of the images, you can r make the site load faster. Reduce users’ waiting time and improve the website’s experience.
We have learned the features and functions of webp format images. As for converting pictures to webp format, we introduced two ways: photoshop or webp image converter Anywebp. Follow the steps in the article to believe that you y can also easily convert pictures to webp format. With these webp format images, you can use them on your website or in the browser. Let’s start the journey of exploring webp images!